Workplace violence is defined as physical assault, threatening or intimidating behavior, or verbal abuse which occurs at the workplace.
If you experience workplace violence or are in danger of experiencing workplace violence and are able to do so:
- Contact Security: 212-746-0911
- Leave the area and go to a location where there is a Security Guard posted.
If you are not able to immediately report the incident to Security, try to diffuse the situation using these techniques:
- Maintain distance between yourself and the other person.
- Stay calm and be empathetic.
- Ask the person to sit down with you to talk about why they are upset.
- Be positive and helpful while trying to figure out how to resolve the problem.
- Do not yell, argue, joke, or patronize.
- Contact Security or leave the scene as soon as feasible.
Workplace Violence Prevention:
- Avoid working alone after hours. If you must work late, keep your door locked.
- If you live in WCMC/NYP housing and leave work after dark, utilize the Campus Escort Service: 212-746-0911.
- If you leave after dark and do not live in WCMC/NYP housing:
- Walk in groups
- Stay in well-lit areas
- Be aware of your surroundings
- If you think you are being followed, go to the nearest public place and contact the Police Department.
- Report any strange or unusual activities in the workplace.
- Keep doors locked when rooms are not in use.
- Do not leave valuables out in the open.
- Report broken locks, windows and lights to Engineering ASAP:
- WCMC Engineering & Maintenance: 212-746-2288
- NYP Engineering: 212-746-1920