If you receive a bomb threat:
- Contact Security immediately at 212-746-0911 (Off-Site, call 911) and state "I am calling from Weill Cornell Medicine. We have received a bomb threat."
- Provide the information below:
- Building name and physical address.
- Exact time the bomb threat was received.
- Exact location where bomb threat was left (phone number where it was received or location where note was found).
- Exact bomb threat message.
- Other information that may be important.
- Stay on the line until Security (or 911) ends the call.
- Follow instructions from Security or other emergency personnel.
If you receive a bomb threat via telephone:
- Remain calm, curteous and do not interrupt the caller.
- Note the exact time of the call.
- Write down the caller's exact words.
- If you have caller ID, write down the caller's phone number and any other information displayed.
Ask the caller:
- When will the bomb explode?
- Where is the bomb?
- What will cause the bomb to explode?
- What does the bomb look like?
- What kind of bomb is it?
- Did you place the bomb?
- Why did you place the bomb?
- What is your name and address?
While you are speaking with the caller, write down descriptive details and impressions.
- Was the caller male or female?
- What is the caller's age range?
- Did the caller have an accent or distinctive speech pattern?
- What was the caller's tone of voice and attitude (nervous, calm, angry)?
- Did the call seem to be a recording?
- Did you hear background voices or noises that could identify the caller's location?