Emergency planning at home is an important exercise for all families, roommates and neighbors. Common emergency plans for the home include:
- Knowing evacuation routes from your home to a meeting place.
- Deciding on a meeting place for your family to go to if an emergency occurs while you are away from home.
- Keeping an inventory of key emergency supplies which may include:
- first aid kit
- extra batteries
- battery-powered radio
- 3-day supply of bottled water
- 3-day supply of non-perishable food
- moist towelettes
- list of prescription medications
These sites have more information on emergency planning at home:
Recommended Emergency Supplies - Checklist of emergency supplies for your home/apartment.
Are you ready? - Federal Emergency Management Agency's guide to citizen preparedness brings together facts on disaster survival techniques, disaster-specific information, and how to prepare for and respond to both natural and man-made disasters.
Your Family Disaster Plan - American Red Cross family disaster planning information.
The Emergency Food Pyramid and Disaster Menu Planning Guide contain home planning information for eating during emergencies.